Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Time Periods - Which is Your Favorite?

If you're like me, you've read many books - many in different settings and time periods. So, which was your favorite?

Here is a list and description of some of the historical settings that I've read:

  • Ancient Rome

Now this is a tough one. Ancient Rome isn't particularly my favorite time period, but two of the books I've read set in Ancient Rome - Secret of the Lost Settlement: The Duty of Warriors by John J. Horn and From the Dark to the Dawn: A Tale of Ancient Rome by Alicia Willis - were good. John J. Horn did an amazing job with this terrible time in history, and Alicia did well, also. Personally, I don't normally read many books set in this time period,  but I do occasionally make exceptions. :) Of course, John Horn's novel was only partially set in a lost Roman expedition of Nero's reign (but most of the book we were engaged in reading of the Roman settlement), while Alicia's tale was completely occupied by Ancient Rome. They're both gripping stories I'd recommend.

  • Victorian

The Victorian era happens to be my all-time favorite era - to write and to read about. This time period is honestly so much fun. Some of the books set in this time by some of my favorite authors are: the A Life of Faith series by Martha Finley, Brothers at Arms: Treasure and Treachery in the Amazon (which I've recently reread!), The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name, and Secret of the Lost Settlement: The Duty of Warriors by John J. Horn, and The Coral Island by R.M. Ballantyne. All amazing tales I would certainly recommend! I believe if I had to choose between Victorian era England and Victorian era America, I would choose America. You've got up and coming cities, the western frontier... But, of course, Victorian era England is also very engaging and exciting.

  • Medieval

Okay, so only recently have I been really enjoying the Medieval era...thanks to Alicia Willis' To Birmingham Castle! That book was great, and it was tons of fun reading about chivalrous knights with their squires and pages! This era has become one of my favorites.

  • Edwardian

The Edwardian era is really a lot like the Victorian era - the beginning of it, anyways. After all, the Edwardian era is right after the Victorian (which ended with the death of Queen Victoria in 1901). The Edwardian time period is 1901-1910, but it is also sometimes extended to include the years leading up to World War I. The only books I've read set in this time would be from Mrs. Janette Oke - the Canadian West series, which I am enjoying.

  • Modern 

So, this happens to be the one time period for books I tend to stray away from. Only because the books I have read set in modern day were not very good. Also, it probably is because I live in the world of texts and twitter and Facebook, so it doesn't appeal to me as much as horse drawn carriages and handwritten letters from the Victorian era do. But, give me a good modern book, and I may just change my mind on the matter! :)

  • Viking Age

I actually don't know what to call this era! I know that Vikings did exist then, though. I have only read one book set in this time period - The Norsemen in the West by R.M. Ballantyne - so I can't make a complete judgment on the era, but I decided to include it in this list anyways. :)


What is your favorite era? What time period do you usually like to write/read about?

7 comments:

  1. I like the Medieval era the best for it's amazing quests for expansion, epic battles of honor, the human strain for power, the conflict for change, and hidden love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice answer. :) I like the Medieval era too.

      Delete
  2. I like reading and writing modern simply because its easy to understand and I know the setting very well. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mikayla! Thanks for commenting. :) Yes, that makes sense! I only say I don't like modern fiction because I haven't read any I like yet! Do you have any recommendations? :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, thats sad. I love modern ficton. =/ Okay, yes I have some recomndations. First: Miss Match, it is on of the funnyest books I'm ever read. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/501960.Miss_Match
      The Case of the Tabloid Tattler. This is also a really funny and adorable book. =D https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22382723-the-case-of-the-tabloid-tattler
      Just Like You. This is actually an English book and its amazingly good. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9965151-just-like-you
      I hope you can read some of those! =)

      Delete
  3. This was a very interesting post! One really really good Roman time setting book is Twice Freed by Patricia St. John. I like reading about almost every time frame. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad you thought so. :D Hmm...I'll have to look that book up! Thanks! :)

      Delete