Monday, July 21, 2014

Do People Really Judge a Book by its Cover?

The cover of a book says a lot about the story within... 

Yes, people really do judge a book by its cover - and I should know, because, surprisingly, I am one of those people. I oftentimes don't want to read or do want to read a book based on what the front looks like. The cover is the advertisement, so to speak - it is what draws people in, makes them pick up the book and scan the back in hopes of finding one to take home with them. That old saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover' isn't often heeded advice. :)

A book cover should tell the story that is within the novel. 

So what do I look for in a book cover?
  1. Professionalism
  2. Real People
  3. Bright Colors
  4. (Nice Font is a plus too)

Here are a few of my favorite book covers:


Karen Witemeyer's A Tailor-Made Bride


























Melanie Dickerson's The Captive Maiden


























John J. Horn's Brothers at Arms

























I love all of Karen Witemeyer's book covers (whoever does hers is amazing!) and John Horn's, as well. 

What do you look for in a book cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment